Monday, September 16, 2013

A Response to "An Open Letter to the Person Who Left This Sweet Dog at the Kill Shelter"

Today, I saw this posted at Huffington Post:  "An Open Letter to the Person Who Left This Sweet Dog at the Kill Shelter."  While I understand the Ms. White's feelings, I think perhaps she is judging too quickly and to harshly.

Before I get into it, let me tell you who I am with regard to animals.  I have had many hamsters (14-ish), one rabbit, three turtles, one dog (two if you count partial responsibility for one at Dad's house), and several fish in my lifetime.  I am from a middle class background and have never had a huge amount of money.  I have college loan debt.  I love animals to the extent that I have had two hamsters for whom I paid to have surgery.  One of those hamsters was also treated for rodent lice he picked up in the pet store and was on phenobarbital for his entire lifespan in my care for seizures--a hamster that frequently bit, and when he bit during a seizure could not let go on his own, and I loved him.  I've spent the money to have hamsters who were very ill put to sleep.  My dog had a heart condition, and I spent a lot of money on him because of it, though I had to draw the line at certain chest x-rays that would have cost more than we could afford and did not necessarily have a high probability of helping prolong his already good, long life.  When he was going downhill, I took him to the vet.  I watched them give him his last meal.  I held him while my husband and young daughter came to say goodbye.  I held him and told him how much I loved him and said my goodbyes and continued petting him as they administered the medicine to stop his heart.  I know animals, and I love them, and they are part of the family.

Back to the Huff Post article.  First off, I applaud Ms. White for taking in this dog and taking such good care of it.  Thanks to her, Cocoa got the end of life she deserved.  That being said, I think Ms. White needs to take the time to think about what might have led to a family to give their dog up to animal control.  She says that the intake sheet said the family was moving to a no pets apartment and had limited means:

"Because the people at Animal Control gave me Cocoa's intake sheet. You know, the one you filled out. The one that said Cocoa was 12 years old and you'd had her all those years. The one that said you were moving to a pet-free apartment and couldn't take your faithful companion of 12 years. You know, the one that you said was a "sweet old girl -- a wonderful companion." The one that said you had limited funds."

Ms. White takes this information and decides that these people are simply cold-hearted.  How does she know?  Does she wonder if they are moving to that apartment because they have lost employment and are under or unemployed?  Does it occur to her that their hearts may have been breaking when they did this?  That they may have felt they had no other choice?  When you take on a pet, of course you expect to be able to care for it no matter what.  However, unforeseen circumstances can change all of that, especially in an economy like ours today.

The author adopted this dog and found she was very ill--she was incontinent; she had pancreatitis, and she had cancer.  (I believe this was not found out where she got the dog because it was Animal Control rather than an actual shelter.)  The Humane Society definitely does (more on that later).  She belittles the family for not paying for the medications and the special dog food and for not having the dog euthanized.  She ASSUMES they knew how bad the dog was.  I agree that if they knew how sick Cocoa was, it would have been best for them to euthanize her and have her die in their arms.  But does it ever occur to Ms. White that maybe they didn't know what medical conditions she had because they couldn't take her to the vet because they were having to penny pinch because of unemployment or other dire financial circumstances?  No, she doesn't.  She just judges without any compassion or thought about what the other family may have been going through.  She doesn't give them the benefit of the doubt.  

At one point, she says, "What upset me so much is that you couldn't be bothered to drive the extra 20 minutes to take her to the Humane Society, a no-kill shelter."  This surprised me greatly since all of the chapters of the Humane Society I'm familiar with would have euthanized this dog.  I checked into Humane Society websites from several states, including Minnesota and Arizona, and found that they do medical exams of incoming dogs and they do euthanize those who are extremely sick.  So, unless her local Humane Society runs very differently, she's very much mistaken about it being a "no-kill" shelter.

So, in short, my message to Ms. White is this:  don't assume you understand other people's circumstances because of a short intake questionnaire.  Learn to give people the benefit of the doubt.

15 comments:

  1. As a shelter employee and dog trainer, I thank you.

    I don't have the right to decide how much pain anyone else is in. All I can do is try not to cause more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome.

      I think the world can only get better if we try to be more understanding and less judgmental (though I confess to being guilty of casting judgment at times--a bad habit I'm trying to break).

      Delete
  2. Your response was spot-on!

    What really bothers me about the letter is the wildly differing levels of compassion the writer had for the dog and the former owner. She cared so deeply for a dying animal, but completely dismissed any form of compassion for the circumstances that led the former owner to surrender Cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you ASSUME that the owners felt this way. There are a lot of cruel heartless people there. I also suppose you ASSUME that their reason for "moving" was not because of the dog's health concerns?

    Some shelters euthanise a pet for $10 - $25.

    Do you extend your compassion for people who run puppy mills as "just trying to make a living"? Do you extend your compassion to people who practice dog fighting because you don't know their financial background?

    Just as you are entitled to your opinion, she is entitled to hers. She did something nice for a dog, something the owners didn't bother to do. Even IF they wanted to euthanise a pet, they could have stayed at her final moments instead of dropping her off at a shelter.

    But then again, that is the moral state of people these days, ship the grandparents off to a home where someone else can take care of their final days so that people don't have to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't assume anything about the owners. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Note all the "they may have" type comments. It means I'm willing to consider that maybe they just were in a bad place. They could very well have been as heartless as Ms. White says they are, but I'm not willing to assume she is right.

      Delete
  4. The only issue I have with your whole piece here is that she isn't, 'the dog'. She isn't an 'it'. She has a gender, she has a name. She is more than just a 'dog' as every beloved animal is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I should have used Cocoa's name more.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Corrine. You are awesome. Seriously - no cynicism or sarcasm here at all. I would not have responded so nicely to this one here.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this. As someone who has been in an almost identical situation I can relate. We had a dog who was very ill and most likely had cancer. It became a health concern for our small children when she could not control her bowels all over our home. We had to put our children first. We first tried for months to find her a new home. We did not have the funds to spend on expensive diagnosis and treatments. She was already at the end of her life. We made one of the most difficult decisions to take her to the shelter to be euthanized. When we took her to the shelter we had less than $100 in the bank. Obviously, the original author of that article cannot comprehend being in a situation like this. If I could have stayed with my pet that I had her entire life for her last hours I gladly would have. As I was there, there was a family crying with a dog that could no longer walk. Clearly they were in the same situation we were. My heart ached for them, I did not feel contempt for them. It is heartbreaking to see others have no compassion for the humans involved in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a heartbreaking story. I hope things are better for you and your family. I am rather shocked by the lack of compassion shown on the Huff Post thread. Yes, I get that people love their pets. I do, too. But families in tough times do have so many tough choices to make, and we need to try to understand that most people would do not make these decisions lightly.

      Delete
  6. Yes indeed, thank you for your response to Ms. White's letter. You have the kind of compassion that I like seeing in the world - life happens and sometimes it sucks, and we have to make really, REALLY tough choices. The people who left Cocoa at that shelter had no opportunity to defend themselves, which is entirely unfair.
    I'm glad that Ms. White has the resources it takes to care for someone else's frail and failing pet - I know I wouldn't be able to, and so I wouldn't have. Maybe that makes her a big person, and maybe it makes me cold. However, the thoroughly one-sided explanation of the situation is what really upset me as I know many people who have been in this situation and work in a field where empathy for all is a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. There are at least two sides to every story. We need to do our best to remember that.

      Delete
  7. Excellent, Cori! I agree, we don't know the circumstances that led the family to give their beloved pet up. For this commenter: " I also suppose you ASSUME that their reason for "moving" was not because of the dog's health concerns?"

    Who moves into an apartment because their dog is sick?? I mean, really, if they'd had this ol' girl for 12 years, they obviously cared a great deal for her. Sad situation.

    ReplyDelete