Saturday, September 7, 2013

Meandering Thoughts on Entertainment

So, I was blogging in my head in the shower again.  And as usual, my thoughts went all over the place.  I believe it all started with watching The Avengers with my son today.  He asked who the "guy" was that was talking with Loki.  So, I had to go to IMDB.com to figure it out.  And there, right next to the character name "The Other," is "Alexis Denisof."  The Buffy/Angel fan girl in me was all "OMG."  Of course, I should have expected something like this from Joss Whedon.  He tends to enjoy bringing in actors he's worked with before (as do many in Hollywood).

Later, as I was getting ready for bed and such, my thoughts wandered to another actor from Buffy:  Nicholas Brendon.  A short while back, I rented Kitchen Confidential from Netflix.  The star was Bradley Cooper from Alias, and getting NB was a side bonus.  I really wanted to love it but figured that if it was truly lovable, it probably would have lasted more than one season.  I was right.  It wasn't lovable, but I did enjoy it.  It had some fun moments, including a guest star spot for Michael Vartan who was on Alias with Cooper.  Yeah, that was probably a publicity stunt.  It was mid-season on a flailing show.  But it was still kind of fun to see them together, even if both of their characters were very big caricatures.  I'm actually pretty sure that's why the series failed.  There was very little depth in the characters.

This led me to thinking about Arrested Development.  The characters there aren't very deep either, but they're extremely quirky.  Quirky makes the lack of depth tolerable and even funny.  That's why they built a strong fan base that allowed them to last more seasons and come back through Netflix after they were cancelled.  However, I did not stick with them when they were on network TV.  Why?  Because once my kids were born, I had a hard time keeping up with much of anything on TV.  When I found out Netflix had new episodes, I couldn't remember where I left off so I started with Season 2.  Eventually, I'll be caught up and watching new episodes with the rest of the world.

This, of course, led me to thinking about the silly lawsuit the band Arrested Development brought against the show, saying they were infringing on the name.  I liked the band in college, but the lawsuit irritated me.  Anyone familiar with psychology knows it's a psychology term, and to say anyone has sole use of the name is silly, IMO.  They settled the lawsuit, but I'm sure that was more about not wanting to prolong the proceedings than any admission of anything.

And what does all of this have to do with anything?  Nothing, really.  Like Seinfeld, it is solely for entertainment purposes.  Thank you for bothering to read it, and I hope you have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment